Empire State University offers a range of academic support services and resources to help you develop the academic skills and learning strategies critical to your success as a student and a lifelong learner. We support all students at all levels, and all our services and resources are free for SUNY Empire students, including tutoring.
To access academic support, go to the Academic Support Portal in MySUNYEmpire, where you may access multiple tutoring options, live academic support workshops, interactive tools and self-paced resources.
SUNY Empire Learning Coaches are professional staff (employees of the university) who coach and tutor both undergraduate and graduate students. Coaches are available online and onsite in selected locations and
- assist with all types of writing assignments, including the Rationale Essay and Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) essays
- tutor math, statistics, science and business
- coach study skills, including time management and reading strategies
- offer one-on-one sessions customized to your needs.
Peer Tutors are current students or alumni available online who
- tutor specific SUNY Empire courses which they have passed with B+ or above and are recommended by a faculty member who teaches the course
- provide basic tech support, such as navigating Brightspace, Teams, Office 365, etc.
The university provides free access to an on-demand, supplemental tutoring service in a broad range of subject areas at hours when SUNY Empire learning coaches are not available. The on-demand service offers
- on-demand, live tutoring in 300+ subjects
- interactive lesson space with audio and video available in all subjects and sessions
- submit-a-paper service with quick turnaround.
At the Academic Support Portal you will also find
- a series of live, online academic support workshops offered throughout each term
- interactive tools including an Assignment Calculator and a Thesis Generator
- videos on time management, reading strategies, writing with sources and using citation, building an argument, and graphing
- links to external resources, including Linked-in Learning
- writing resources created by SUNY Empire faculty to develop different areas of academic writing, including the writing process, research writing, types of writing assignments, critical reading and writing, grammar and punctuation.